Bright Ideas is Kingston University’s annual ideas competition, just for KU students. It is designed to give students from any discipline the opportunity to develop an idea, have it evaluated, and win a prize. Along the way, entrants can develop their entrepreneurial thinking and capabilities.
You need no prior business experience to enter Bright Ideas. It’s open to all Kingston University students – the only requirements are open mindedness, creativity and enthusiasm! You can enter as a team, and also individually. Deadline: 5pm on Friday 2nd December 2016
For us on the Design Thinking module, your Bright Ideas Competition team entry is your team’s FEASIBILITY STUDY (see Assessments page on this blog).
Purpose: To determine if your business idea is something that is wanted by your audience, is capable of making a profit and possible to accomplish in the time given.
You will submit your feasibility study as your Bright Ideas Entry by 5PM on 2 December, and present your feasibility study during a Dragons’ Den type presentation to a panel of judges on 9 December. You will need to:
- Read BRIGHT IDEAS GUIDELINES (as given in class), then fill out the form and discuss it with your mentor(s).
- submit it online to the Bright Ideas competition by 5PM on 2 December.
- submit it online on StudySpace via Turnitin on the same day (1 submission per team only please).
- present your feasibility study in a team Dragons’ Den presentation on 9 December (5 minutes). This is compulsory.
The feasibility study is formative. You will receive feedback for this assignment in the following ways:
- in class – from lecturers and peers
- from the judges – on the day of your presentation
- during the Bright Ideas Competition pitching session in February
Bright Ideas Prize Ceremony is on Wednesday 8th February 2017.
Trigger KU 27th – 29th January 2017: All Bright Ideas entrants are invited to attend this student-led weekend, where they will be able to develop their ideas and pitches in preparation the final event. Students from this module who attended this event in 2015 and 2016 said it was a key factor in their success. It’s also not a coincidence they went on to win the university startup competition and national startup competition later! Book this in your calendars.
- Bright Ideas Workshop: 23 November 2016 4PM (consider sending 1 team member if it helps with time management)
- Bright Ideas Submission deadline: 2 December 2016 by 5PM
- Trigger KU: 27th – 29th January 2017 – All entrants are invited to attend this student-led weekend, where they will be able to develop their ideas and pitches in preparation the final event. –
- Bright Ideas Final: Wednesday 8th February 2017
WHERE TO SUBMIT YOUR BRIGHT IDEAS?
Submit your ideas: https://beta.younoodle.com/competition/bright_ideas_competition_2016
Good luck, all! If you win any of the prizes as previous students have many times, you have the money for the development of your idea – handy, no?